Tuesday, September 1, 2009

In the Time of Falling Leaves

I have fallen among
thieves who steal days of my life
one small moment at a time

I have fallen apart
when death arrives

I have fallen asleep
during Friday night concerts
and Monday morning classes

I have fallen away
from the idolization of progress
for its own sake

I have fallen backward
over the edge of a desert cliff
and believed it was the end

I have fallen behind
in raking leaves and washing windows
and dusting dusting dusting

I have fallen down
in a snow bank and looked the fool
rather than plunge into the lake

I have fallen for
happily-ever-after endings
and promises of a sure thing

I have fallen forward
down a slushy stairwell
and damaged my ego

I have fallen head-over-heels
in love

I have fallen ill
because someone sitting behind me
sneezed all through Act Two

I have fallen in
with the crowd when it suited me
and out when it didn't

I have fallen into
a few bad habits for which I claim
full responsibility even though
I'd rather place the blame
elsewhere

I have fallen off
a horse that didn't trust me

I have fallen on
patches of ice with and without skates
and seen stars

I have fallen out
of hammocks
and over the hill.

I have fallen overboard
in the middle of a lake in Maine
just because

I have fallen with
my husband into bed at night
grateful to have a husband
and a bed and another night
to share

1 comment:

  1. To my favorite cousin,
    This piece of prose is my favorite. No doubt you've experienced each of these things and they offer a glimpse into the interesting and creative life that you've lead.

    ReplyDelete